Appalu with rice flour is a traditional sweet offered as Prasadam/Naivedyam during festivals. This is made with only two main ingredients- rice flour and Jaggery. I make this whenever I have cravings for this 😛 😉 These are mild in sweetness and are very Yummy.
The method of making this dough is almost similar to Churros dough made of plain Flour/Maida, deep-fried and rolled over Sugar-Cinnamon mixture and served with chocolate sauce or alone.
I always try to make any sweet dish with Jaggery as it tastes so yum and is not so heavy on tummy 😉
The other variations are Wheat Flour/Godhuma Appalu and Rava /Sooji(semolina) Appalu. All variations are quite easy to make except the deep frying part. That difficulty should be paid off once you taste this heavenly sweet 😉 omg!! my mouth is watering now 😀
Enough of tempting you folks, now let’s dig into the step by step procedure of the recipe.
- Rice Flour/Biyyam Pindi/Akki Hittu-2 cups
- Jaggery/Bellam/Bella-1 Cup (Increase or Decrease according to your sweetness)
- Clarified Butter/Ghee/Neyyi/Thuppa-1 Teaspoon
- Cardamom/Elakkai/Elakki(optional) -1 pod
- Water-2 cups
- Oil-For deep frying
Procedure for preparing Appalu with Rice Flour
- Firstly, grate the jaggery and keep aside.
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan or vessel and add in 2 cups water.
- Once water is hot, add in ghee, jaggery and stir until dissolved. Ghee helps to form a smooth dough in the end.
- Bring the dissolved jaggery to boil. (add cardamom at this step if using)
- Once dissolved jaggery comes to a boil add in rice flour by stirring continuously without forming lumps.
- Mix well until it removes the pan and forms a soft dough
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool.
- Now take a pan and heat the oil for deep frying.
- Meanwhile, form the dough into small balls and make the appalu shape as shown below and keep aside
- Once the oil is hot add in the prepared appalu and deep fry until brown.
♥ Replace ghee with oil. Also, adjust the water accordingly.
♥ I personally don’t use Cardamom in this recipe. Jaggery can also be replaced with Palm Jaggery
♥ You can add slightly fried Sesame Seeds/Nuvvulu/Yellu after the Jaggery is dissolved.
2 thoughts on “Appalu with Rice Flour/Biyyampindi Appalu”
Can this be made with store bought rice flour?
Hi Pranavi, Yes you can. I made this with store-bought rice flour. Thank you 🙂