Soya is the power-packed plant-based protein that is best for vegan or vegetarians. I made this Soya Granules Pulao using soya chunks as there were no granules available in my kitchen.
This is a simple yet easy one-pot meal you can prepare when you do not have time for a complete lunch menu you usually do.
Now let’s jump into the recipe.
Ingredients for Soya Granules Pulao
- Soya Granules-1 Cup
- Basmati Rice-3 Cups
- Oil-1 Tablespoon
- Ghee/Clarified Butter/Neyyi/Thuppa-2 Tablespoons
- Green Chillies/Pachi Mirapakayalu/Hasi Menshinkai-3
- Ginger-garlic paste/Allam-Vellulli Muddha/Shunti-Bellulli Muddhe-1 Teaspoon
- Cinnamon/Dalchina Chekka/Chekke-1 Inch
- Star Anise/Anasa Puvvu/-1
- Biryani Leaves/Bay Leaf/Biryani Aaku/Biryani Yele-2
- Turmeric Powder/Pasupu/Arshina-1 Teaspoon
- Red Chilly Powder-2 Tablespoons
- Coriander Powder/Dhaniyala Podi/Dhaniya Pudi-1 Teaspoon
- Cumin Powder/Jeelakarra Podi/Jeerige Pudi-1 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala-1 Teaspoon
- Biryani Masala-1 Tablespoon
- Salt-As required
- Water-5 cups
- Soak the soya granules in water for 15 minutes. If you have Soya Chunks* just pulse it in the mixer grinder for 2-3 seconds. Do not over pulse as it may become like flour. Just coarsely pulse it and add in water. After 15 Minutes drain and keep aside.
- Wash Basmati rice thoroughly and soak it for 30 minutes. After 30 Minutes drain and keep aside. Place in the colander so that the water is drained completely.
- Meanwhile, finely chop half the Onion and keep it aside. Then julienne or chop the remaining onion into lengthwise.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, and slit the green chillies and keep them aside.
Procedure for Soya Granules Pulao
- In an electric cooker on cooking mode heat oil and clarified butter, add Cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise and biryani leaf fry for 1 minute.
- Once fried, add ginger-garlic paste, fry for two more minutes or until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add onion that is cut julienne, turmeric powder and fry until translucent and brown. Then add finely chopped onion and fry for 5 minutes.
- Once onions turn brown, add slit green chillies and saute for a while and add tomatoes and cook until mushy.
- Once tomatoes are cooked well add drained soya granules, salt, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, biryani masala and fry well until oil oozes out.
- Now add drained basmati rice, mix well gently for a minute.
- Add 5 cups of water, check for salt and add if required.
- Switch on cooking mode (if not, as it comes automatically to keep warm mode) and cook until it comes to keep warm mode.
- Once it comes to keep warm mode, do not disturb for 10-15minutes. Then mix well and serve hot.