One-Pot Quinoa Meal is a power-packed protein-rich meal made in Indian style. Quinoa belongs to Amaranth Family or Spinach Family. Primarily grown as a crop for its edible seeds which is also a herbaceous plant. These seeds are rich in dietary fibre and minerals, protein, vitamin B when compared to other grains.
Quinoa contains saponins which have a bitter taste when unwashed and uncooked. Also unpalatable. So it is very important to wash quinoa thoroughly before you use it to remove saponins and unusual smell. I also suggest you soak them for at least 30mins before you cook. Soaking lentils or grains helps in easy cooking as well as time-saving.
Coming to this recipe I always come across Quinoa salad most of the time in any cookery shows or cookbooks and is very much attracted to these cute tiny micro grains 😀 yes, they look so cute hahaha. But I am not much a Salad person so I wanted to try the Indian Quinoa version, especially a South Indian Version :-D. One fine day I decided to prepare this recipe and it was just so delicious and also filling as it contains quinoa as well as Dal which is again a source of protein. You will be full of energy for a few hours 😀 Try yourself this recipe and you will agree with what I said 🙂
Now let us know the step by step procedure of this recipe. You can also watch the video at the end of this.
- Quinoa-1 Cup
- Pigeon Split Peas/Toor Dal/Kandipappu/Thogiribele-1 Cup
- Green chillies/Pachimirapakayalu/Hasi menshinkai-3
- Cumin Seeds/Jeelakarra/Jeerige-1 Teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds/Menthulu/Menthya-¼ Teaspoon
- Asafoetida/Inguva/Ingu-A pinch
- Turmeric Powder/Pasupu/Harshina pudi-¼ Teaspoon
- Sambar Powder-1 Tablespoon
- Water-7 cups
- Salt/Uppu-As Required
- Clarified Butter/Ghee/Neyyi/Thuppa-1 Tablespoon
- Oil-1 Tablespoon
- Wash the quinoa thoroughly several times. This helps us to remove the unusual smell of quinoa.
- Now take the washed quinoa to a bowl, add 1 and a half cup water and soak for 30-45 minutes.
- Also, wash Pigeon split peas/lentils/Toor dal well, pressure cook for 3-4 whistles and keep aside
Procedure for One-Pot Quinoa Meal
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan, add in ghee/clarified butter, oil. Once the oil-ghee is hot add in Cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds.
- Once they crackle add in asafoetida. Then add onions, slit green chillies, salt, turmeric and saute for 3 mins
- Add chopped beans, tamarind, capsicum, cooked dal and mix well. Then add 2 glasses water, mix and add sambar powder/Bisi Bele bath powder, and mix well
- Check for seasoning and add salt accordingly and then washed soaked Quinoa, mix well
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Pour in the ghee and serve hot
Increase or decrease the ratio of quinoa to dal according to your taste
Can add any of your favourite vegetables other than those mentioned in this recipe