Pumpkin soup without cream and without stock/broth is made very rare as far as my knowledge goes. Pumpkins are rich in fiber, vitamin C and good for heart health. Here, in India, two types of pumpkins, one Ash Gourd/Boodida Gummadikay/Boodi Kumbalkai, as halwa/sweet and the other squash or winter melon in Sambar and huli/pulusu, (a tangy soup) are used.
I use winter melon in huli or pulusu with other vegetables. My grandma used to prepare a stew called DAPPALAM made of root vegetables and pumpkin for Sankranti festival. Pumpkin and sweet potato are the main vegetables in this.
Also, pumpkin seeds are used to thicken the gravy or korma.
I prepared this pumpkin soup without cream and without stock/broth as preparing stock consumes more time.
Now let’s jump into the step by step procedure of the recipe.
- Pumpkin/Gummadikaya/Kumbulkayi-200 grams
- Unsalted Butter-1 Teaspoon
- Garlic Cloves/Vellulli Rebbalu/Bellulli-5
- Onions/Ullipaayalu/Eerulli-1 Medium Sized
- Mint Leaves/Pudina-1 sprig (optional)
- Bay leaf/Biryani Aaku/biryani yele-1
- Pepper/Miriyaalu/Menasu-1/2 Teaspoon
- Water-500 ml
- Salt-As required
- Bread-2 slices ( i used white bread, you can use your choice of bread)
Procedure for Pumpkin Soup Without Cream and Without Stock/Broth
- Wash, peel and chop the pumpkin into cubes.
- Also, finely chop garlic and onion.
- Heat a saucepan or a vessel and add in butter
- Once butter melts, add in cloves, bay leaf, finely chopped garlic and saute for 2 minutes
- Now add in finely chopped onion, salt and fry until translucent
- Also, add in Mint leaves now if you use
- Once the onion turns transparent, add in the pumpkin cubes and saute for 3 minutes
- Now add water, pepper and cook /boil on low flame. This may take for about 15-20 minutes(Boil until it is soft, check with fork or knife)
- Once it is boiled well, switch off the flame and allow it cool.
- Meanwhile, take a tawa and add 1/2 teaspoon butter.
- Once the butter is melted, toast the bread on both sides until crisp and keep it aside
- Now, remove the bay leaf, put the cooled mixture in the blender/mixer grinder and make a puree.
- Pour the puree back into the pan and heat on a low flame until it starts the boil.
- Serve the hot pumpkin soup with crispy bread slices or cubes. Also, sprinkle some ground pepper
Tips For Soup
–I prepared this exclusively with pumpkin if you want you can add carrots for extra taste and vibrant color.
–Also If you like you can add cinnamon sticks for that sweetish taste.
Could you please spare a few minutes to take a Blog Survey? This will help me optimize and improve the blog. Click the link below to take survey and give your valuable response.