Rajma Masala Curry is a protein-rich vegetarian recipe that can be eaten either with rice or roti. I prepare Rajma/Kidney Beans also very rare probably once in a month or so depending upon the cravings I have for it. One of the popular dishes with Rajma in few parts of India is Rajma-Chawal. It is nothing but a Rajma curry served with Steaming hot rice, Chawal meaning- rice.
Also, Mexicans do love their Beans/Kidney Beans in their Burrito which is a tortilla wrapped with veggies and beans. Their rice dish which is popularly known as Burrito Bowl packed with seasoning sauces, veggies, beans, lettuce, etc. The above two dishes are not so spicy and are very light yet filling.
I love my rajma curry with rice, a dash of ghee and onion rings 🙂 Now let’s jump into my Rajma Curry 😀
- Rajma/Kidney Beans-2 Cups
- Green Chilies/Pachi Mirapakayalu/HasiMenshinkai-1
- Cinnamon/Dalchinachekka/Chakke-1 Inch Stick
- Ginger garlic Paste/Allam Vellulli mudda/Shunti Bellulli mudde-1/2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder/Pasupu/Harshina Pudi-1/4 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder/Dhaniyaala Podi/Dhaniya Pudi-1 Teaspoon
- Cumin powder/Jeelakarra Podi/Jeerige Pudi-1/2 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala-1 Teaspoon
- Red Chilly Powder/Kaaram/Khaaraa-1 Teaspoon
- Water-2 cups
- Salt -As required
- Oil-2 Teaspoons
Procedure for Rajma Masala Curry
Pre-Preparation For Kidney Beans
♦ Soak Kidney Beans overnight in normal water or for 4 to 6 hours in hot water.
♦ Drain the water, pressure cook Kidney Beans with 2 cups water for 3 to 4 whistles and keep aside.
- Firstly, finely chop onions, tomatoes, slit the green chilly and keep aside.
- Heat a saucepan or pan, add in 1/2 teaspoon oil. Once the oil is hot add in cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger garlic paste and until the raw smell goes off.
- Once fried add in 3/4th chopped onions, turmeric powder, salt and fry until translucent.
- Now add in red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and fry until masala raw smell is reduced.
- Switch off the flame, transfer the onion mixture to a plate and allow it cool.
- Meanwhile, take the same pan, add in remaining oil, onions, green chilly, tomatoes and fry until cooked or tomatoes become soft.
- By now onion mixture must be cooled down, so, now put this in a mixer jar and make a coarse or fine paste.
- Add onion paste to the tomato mixture and fry until oil oozes out.
- Once fried well, add in the water little by little in which Kidney Beans is cooked.
- Wait until the water comes to a boil then add in the 3/4th of the cooked Kidney Beans, mash the remaining and it to the mixture.
- Cook well until thickens.
- Serve the Rajma Masala hot with steaming hot rice or roti along with onions rings or salad.