Vegetable Masala Upma? I know that everyone knows how to prepare UPMA which is a very easy and quick breakfast recipe in South India.
Today I’m going to share UPMA loaded with veggies:-D. This can also be made quick and easy except the pre-preparation like chopping vegetables, soaking peas or batani if you use dried ones.
Here I used Bansi Rava for that healthier kick with loaded vegetables.
I know you must be wondering that almost my posts or recipes are with Bansi Rava, like Bansi Rava Pongal, which is different from regular Pongal and sweet that is different from regular kesaribath or halwa like Bansi Rava Halwa/Kesaribath With Jaggery.
I always prefer Bansi Rava over Sooji Rava/Bombay Rava/Semolina due to its texture and flavor.
Sometimes I feel Bansi Rava is a sibling of Quinoa and Couscous 😛 hahaha I know they’re different 😀
Now let’s jump into the detailed step by step procedure of Vegetable Masala Upma recipe.
- Bansi Rava/Wheat Rava-3 Cups (check for measuring glass here)
- Onions/Ullipaayalu/Eerulli-2 Medium Sized
- Tomatoes-2 Medium Sized
- Cinnamon/Dalchinachekka/Chakke-1 Inch stick
- Ginger Garlic Paste/Allam Vellulli Mudda/Shunti Bellulli Mudde-1/2 Teaspoon
- Curry Leaves/Karivepaaku/Karibevsoppu-1 Sprig
- Green Chillies/Pachi Mirapakaayalu/Hasi Menshinkai-7
- Coriander Leaves/Kotthimeera/Kotthambari soppu-1/4th bunch
- Peas/Batani-1 Cup
- Clarified Butter/Ghee/Neyyi/Thuppa-1 Teaspoon
- Oil-2 Teaspoons
- Salt- As required
- Water-6 Cups
Pre-Prep for Peas/Batani
♦ If using frozen peas, soak it in hot water for 5 minutes, then drain the water and keep aside.
♦ If using dried peas, soak it in hot water for 4 to 5 hours or in normal water overnight. Once they have soaked well, drain the water, pressure cook with 1 cup water or as required for 3 to 5 Whistles and keep aside.
Vegetable Masala Upma
- Firstly, finely chop the onions, tomatoes, carrots, beans, green chilies, coriander leaves and keep aside.
- Secondly, heat a pan, add in clarified butter and oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger garlic paste and fry for 3 minutes.
- Once ginger-garlic paste raw smell goes off add in curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Now add in chopped onions,1/2 teaspoon salt and fry until translucent.
- Once the onions turn translucent add in chopped green chilies and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add in chopped tomatoes and fry until mushy or cooked.
- Once the tomatoes turn mushy add in chopped carrots, beans,1/2 teaspoon salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- Once they fried well, add in peas and fry for 3 minutes.
- Now add in the Bansi Rava,1 teaspoon salt and fry until the rava is aromatic.
- Once the rava is fried slightly, add in half of the chopped coriander and mix well.
- Once mixed, add in 6 cups water, stir, cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed completely.
- Sprinkle the leftover coriander leaves, mix and serve the Vegetable Masala Upma hot as it is or with Mango Pickle or Curd.
♥ I used Safal Frozen Peas for time-saving. They taste very good trust me. You can buy them here or in any local supermarkets.
♥ Also, you can use finely chopped Capsicum/Bell Peppers.
♥ Skip clarified butter and can cook in oil alone. I used groundnut oil here.